Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Feed in Tariff


A Feed-in Tariff is a payment you can get if you generate your own electricity (eg with solar panels or a wind turbine) and you can also sell energy back to the grid. Find out how to apply




If you generate your own electricity (eg with solar panels or a wind turbine) your energy supplier might pay you money. This is called a ‘Feed-in Tariff’ (FIT).
How the scheme works

You’ll get a set amount for each unit (kilowatt hour or kWh) of electricity you generate. The rates vary depending on:

  •     The size of your system
  •     What technology you install
  •     When your technology was installed
  •     Who put the technology in place - you need to use a certified installer

Contact installer companies or an electricity supplier for more information. You can receive payments from your current energy supplier, or you can choose a different one from the list of registered suppliers.
The export tariff - selling surplus energy

As well as the generation tariff, you can also sell any extra units you don’t use back to your electricity supplier. This is called an ‘export tariff’.

You’ll get 4.5p per unit of electricity:

    for solar panels where you applied for FIT on or after 1 August 2012
    for other technologies where you applied for FIT on or after 1 December 2012

If you applied for FIT before these dates you’ll continue to get 3.2p for each unit of electricity.



How to apply


To qualify, your installation must have a peak output of no more than 5 megawatts (MW). Technologies covered are:


  •     Solar photovoltaic (PV) panels
  •     Wind turbines
  •     Water turbines
  •     Anaerobic digestion (biogas energy)
  •     Micro combined heat and power (micro-CHP)

Before you apply, do a home energy check to make sure your home is as energy-efficient as possible.

    Choose the technology you want and get it installed by a certified installer.

    You’ll usually need to get a certificate from your installer confirming that it meets Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) standards.

    Contact a registered electricity supplier to find out how to apply, as the application process varies for different suppliers.

You can choose to receive payments from your current energy supplier or from a different one.





         Special Offers This Month      

EPC-energy performance certificateEPC-energy performance certificate


FREE Energy Performance Certificate 


Solar iBoost

Solar hot water 


FREE Wireless Kit

FREE Wireless Communication